Home Away From Home
Leroy
 Posted: Jan 11 2018, 09:41 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/x3hgyc.gif[ y/o & 16 posts
http://morethanstories.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=1100&st=0&#entry1576
Awards: None

Leroy

Ally // plotter

Leroy was comfortable in the mines. It was the only place in Storybrooke that reminded him of home, a place he thought of often despite being stuck in a town faced with disasters day after day. He held his axe firmly in both hands and swung it hard at the rock wall, deciding a little work never hurt anyone. It was a way to keep his mind off of other things. Beside him, he had set a flask with alcohol because he was never far from his favorite drink. He preferred beer, but Scotch was good too. Currently, he had a bit of Scotch in the flask, but beside it, he had set a six pack since he planned to be in the mines for a while.

Repeatedly, he swung his axe, putting his strength into it. This was a good way to release his anger and frustration over certain things. When a piece of the wall broke off, he bent down, picking it up and tossed it into a nearby cart. Then he went straight back to mining again with very little light to see. But this was his thing, a dwarf thing. He was born to mine and lately it seemed it was all he could do to keep busy, especially now that things were quiet in Storybrooke, although, he suspected not for very long. The town never had peace for long. Some crazy person would come along and stir things up eventually. It was only a matter of time before that happened. The question was...who. Who would be the one to cause a disaster this time?

After mining for a while, Leroy decided it was time for a break and a beer. He set the axe down and sat on the ground of the mines, opening a beer while he thought about the direction in which his life was going. From the moment the curse broke, two things became clear to Leroy. He was no longer a royal guard because there was no kingdom here in Storybrooke. And the woman he once loved was still untouchable because she was a nun now. Both of these things were a constant reminder of just how useless he seemed to be in this town, but then there were the mines. No one else could do what he did down here. That gave him some small hope that he wasn’t entirely useless.

After he finished his beer, Leroy stood up and picked up his axe, holding it with both hands as he started to swing it at the wall again, determined to at least mine for a little fairy dust. It was needed by the fairies for their magic, so he figured he might as well get enough so that Blue could share it with the other fairies. There weren’t that many fairies in Storybrooke, but enough that the dust was a necessity, so he kept right on swinging since had nothing better to do.

Open tag, anyone is welcome to join in.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rufus Powers
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 09:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zGpxTU4.gif y/o & 14 posts

Oh um....hi.
000 words
The mines were....well mines! A big hole in the ground with a track that a large container traveled on, either pushed by hand or pulled by an automatic system, echoey, dangerous and to some, claustrophobic. Luckily, Rufus wasn't afraid of small, underground places. He decided to explore them, they weren't exactly off limits or anything, they just seemed to be the dwarf's territory. Rufus, never having been one to willingly break rules unless there was a good reason, decided that if there weren't any 'no people named Rufus' or 'no vampires allowed' signs, then it meant he could enter without much problem.

He walked into the mines carrying a small trowel he'd bought at a hardware store for cheap, along with his acoustic guitar (which he rarely ever went anywhere without) and a clothe bag, which hung from his hip and rattled slightly as he walked. He scented the air, looking to see if he could smell anything that would signify he could trigger an explosion of some kind and when he didn't smell anything dangerous, he ventured in further. Besides, he'd probably just be digging on the ground with his little shovel or by hand. Being a strong vampire had its advantages.

After a little exploring, Rufus realized that this place must've stretched on for miles! He decided to mark the way, using a stone he scratched an arrow on the wall at every turn he made. That way, he'd be able to get back out without having to remember dozens of turns. As he walked, he suddenly became aware of the sounds of work. A grunt, an impact, grunt, impact....metal on stone. Someone was working down here. The old fashioned way.

Rufus walked along, choosing to announce his presence rather than wait to be discovered by an angry miner with a blowtorch or something. Blowtorches were no fun at all. He walked into the open, the man wielding a pickax was short and rotund, but in a solid strong sort of way. Not in a 'too-many-potato-chips' sort of way. Focusing on the ax, Rufus saw it read 'Grumpy'. Oh. So this was Grumpy. Or else it was another dwarf borrowing Grumpy's ax. Rufus stopped a good, respectable distance away and said, "Hello! I am....I am Rufus. I was wondering if I could be allowed to search for gemstones down here. Quartz, peridot, aquamarine. Things like that."

PM
^
Leroy
 Posted: Mar 17 2018, 09:38 PM

Leroy

Ally // plotter

Leroy swung his axe repeatedly, hitting the cold, hard, stone wall with as much force as he could. This was what he was meant to do, although now there was little cause for it. At times, his brothers would come and work the mines, but most of the time, Leroy was alone. He didn’t mind it much though, being alone. In fact, he preferred it that way because people couldn’t be trusted. He learned that the hard way. He had trusted Snow and Charming, and a few others, but then there were people like Ingrid who had come to Storybrooke to wreak havoc and seek revenge for some pointless injustice. They did so without thinking about how their actions affected others, or maybe they did think about it and just didn’t care.

As he continued to work, Leroy was unaware that someone else had entered the mines. He was no longer alone, but he continued to focus on his work until he heard someone talk to him. Leroy stopped swinging his axe and turned with a grunt. He eyed the man who was much taller with the usual amount of suspicion. No one came to the mines, no one except for him, at least not these days. So, whatever this person was doing here, he assumed it had to be trouble. The last person to come to the mines had been Tamara, at least that he could remember. There was also the boys, Wendy’s brothers, but they had been misled by Pan. Tamara had been up to no good though.

“Ain’t no gems down here, other than the ones I’m mining, but they’re used for fairy dust. You’d be wasting your time. Who are you and what are you doing in Storybrooke? If you have some master plan to screw with this town, let me be the first to warn you that we don’t tolerate that kind of thing here.”

Okay, so he was rude. Leroy felt like he had to be rude to get his point across. As an added measure, he turned to the man, holding his axe in front of him. “I know how to use this for more than just mining.” That was a threat, one that he stated openly. Perhaps this guy would understand that trouble of any kind wasn’t welcome in Storybrooke. Leroy was used to looking for trouble. He’d come to expect it every time someone new arrived in town.

Rufus Powers

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rufus Powers
 Posted: Mar 17 2018, 10:17 PM

Oh um....hi.
000 words
Whoa! Was the little guy paranoid with a capitol P or what? Rufus listened quietly as he accused him of being up to no good and while he did, Rufus studied his aura. It was a good one. There were colors of anger, but not like he was ready to murder people. More like....mild anger. Annoyance? And there was love and happiness there, but at the core, just .....that general ....grumpy color. OH yes. He'd found Grumpy alright. He threatened him with his ax and Rufus smiled, knowing he could take him in a fight if things came down to it. Luckily, Rufus wasn't one for fighting.

"Take it easy." He said, "There are gems everywhere. You just have to know where to look for them. But if you say there are none then I will believe you. I was transported here with the original curse. Though....no one knew me. Either in the Enchanted Forest or in Storybrooke. I was in the hospital for the entire curse. I am not here to 'screw with this town'."" he then said, "As for your threat upon my life.....I should warn you that I am more than what I seem. I do not wish to fight you but if I must defend myself, then I will."

He approached slowly, "I am Rufus Powers. I know, bit of an ironic last name considering the various people here, but ....since I assume you are the one called Grumpy you should understand." he removed the pouch from his side, "As for why I am looking for gemstones....it is just a hobby." He removed a few and placed them on the ground and in the wan light provided by the dim bulbs, they shimmered. Some were moonstone, white and milky, others were green and some had swirls of color. "I will not take the gems you use for fairy dust but....perhaps I could look for stones anyway? If I find the ones you are looking for I can give them over. I just find that hunting for gemstones relaxes me and some of them sell quite well." he just wanted to work on his hobby, that was all.

"I know. You have every reason in the world not to trust me, but I really was here at the start of this whole ...curse thing. If you do not believe me you can look into the records at the hospital at any time. I was Rufus there and I am Rufus now. No lies sir." he wanted this guy to trust him, mostly because if a fight broke out things wouldn't go very well for either of them.

This post has been edited by Rufus Powers: Mar 17 2018, 10:17 PM
PM
^
Leroy
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 05:08 PM

Leroy

Ally // plotter

Leroy continued to hold his axe in front of him, watching the man carefully. So maybe he had been a little harsh, but it seemed every time he let his guard down something happened. Now, Leroy tried to be prepared for anything, although the town had been under a bit of a peaceful lull as of late. That was exactly how Leroy liked it. There was no juicy gossip for him to spread, but he could do without that bit.

He stepped back when the man removed a pouch, half expecting some kind of magic now, but it was only a few gemstones, all of which Leroy had seen at one time or another. That was his specialty, diamonds specifically because they were used to make fairy dust, but he still knew a thing or two about gems. The guy’s story wasn’t absurd either. Charming had spent the duration of the curse in the hospital as well, so it wasn’t impossible.

Finally, he nodded to Rufus. “I suppose you can do what you came here to do, but don’t get in my way. I’m working down here.” Leroy gave him a mild warning as he lowered his axe and turned to the wall. “I guess you don’t know about all the stuff that’s happened in town if you were laid up in the hospital?” On the one hand, Leroy had some great stories to tell. On the other, he didn’t want to tell them.

He went back to work immediately, swinging his axe against the stone wall likebefore. With each strike, pieces of the wall crumbled, but Leroy wasn’t having much success locating the diamonds this time, so he moved to another section of the mine and continued his work. For him, it was the same thing every day and while he considered the work boring, it was what he was born to do, or hatched in his case.

Rufus Powers

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rufus Powers
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 06:45 PM

Oh um....hi.
000 words
"Thanks." Rufus said and then, put them back into his bag, "And I promise to try not to get in your way." He was a gruff guy, but he wasn't unreasonable. Rufus could respect that. "Not really. I mean I got the paper but most days I was too weak to do much but play my guitar or the violin or something." He said and removed his guitar, propping it against the wall and then, moving off toward the wall opposite where Grumpy was working. He ran his hands along it.

"Never got the chance to get out and actually hunt for gems so I had to make do with the ones I have." seemed like a likely spot. He sat down and started to dig. For a while, he was silent, just enjoying the company, silent as it was. He would dig in one spot for a while, then fill in the hole and move to another spot. He didn't seem to mind it when he was unsuccessful and he didn't feel the need to fill the silence with idle chatter.

After about twenty minutes of digging in yet another new spot he made a small sound, he'd found something. Carefully he removed his shovel and dug by hand, then removed a lump, covered in dirt but showing signs through it. Gently, he knocked away the dirt and moved into the light with the stone and turned it this way and that. "Harlequinn gem."he said, "Very rare." he showed it to his companion with a small smile. It was uncut and rough, but still, many colors were inside and it was beautiful and interesting. "Not sure why it is called that, but that is the official name. It is a kind of opal. Said to release anger and help with 'expressing oneself'" He chuckled, clearly he didn't actually believe it. "Also said to help with memory enhancement. Outside of this town, I would say it was a load of fish oil. But in Storybrooke? .....Perhaps it could be of use." But he put it in his pouch with all the other stones. "However my memory is filled with things I would much rather forget and it is never a good thing to release my anger. So perhaps I will see what Mr. Gold or someone else may want for it. I do need new shoes." and he did! One toe was poking out of the top and the soles were held together with duct tape.

PM
^
Leroy
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 07:43 AM

Leroy

Ally // plotter

Leroy was busy at work, collecting what he needed, but every once in a while he glanced at Rufus to make sure he was doing what he came to do. The guy seemed legit, but Leroy wasnt about to let his guard down . He didnt trust anyone, except his friend, the only one who seemed decent enough to call a friend so far. After a few, Leroy finally stopped to take a break. He sat with his back against the wall he had just been hitting and took a bottle of water out to drink some. When Rufus walked over, showing him a gem, Leroy simply grunted at the sight of it.

Leroy wasnt much of a conversationalist. He rarely spoke unless he had something important to say, which, at the sight of the gem, he didn’t. He didnt have anything to say until Rufus started talking about magic. Magc was the reason he was stuck in this town, the reason he could no longer go back to his home where he felt most comfortable. Magic was a burden, a curse that ruined his chance with Nova. To Leroy, magic was a curse and nothing more.

“I don’t care what that thing can do. Magic is bad. Don’t matter what kind it is. It ruins people’s lives, makes things happen that shouldn’t. If that thing has magic, get rid of it before someone gets hurt. Magic is the reason we’re all stuck in this town and it’s the reason you were laid up in a hosptal for so long. I’m going to find a way out of this town without using magic. Everyone is comtent with living here, but not me. I’m going back, one way or another.”

Leroy had thought about this for some time. He wanted to return to the Enchanted Forest, even if he had to do it alone. His brothers had agreed to go with him though, so he was focused on finding a way out of Storybrooke no matter what he had to do to find it.

Rufus Powers

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Rufus Powers
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 06:01 PM

Oh um....hi.
000 words
Wow. He had a lot to say about magic! Rufus wasn't sure how to respond to that one except with "I have seen magic used for good. I once encountered a pair of siblings who could do it. One of them fought and defended his sister and their friend while the girl used a healing based magic. It all depends on who is using the magic and what it is use for." He understood where the man was coming from, that was for sure. He went back to looking for more stones,

"For me ....I am neither happy to be here nor upset. For my entire life I was a wanderer. I went all over my homeland and beyond. Just walking. Traveling. Magic made me the man I am today. I believe that without it.....I would wind up back in some hospital. Or I would just die all together. I cannot leave this place. If I could back to the Enchanted Forest.....I would. But for now I am willing to accept this place for what it is. Any place is better than the hospital."

He resumed digging, quiet again as he thought about what the man had said, about the opal, that he should get rid of it. He decided not to, mostly because he knew that perhaps someone could use it. The right someone would use it without causing harm to others. Besides, he didn't know if it truly contained any magic whatsoever, most likely it didn't. "These mines are said to carry gems used for fairy dust. Fairy dust is an ingredient used in magic is it not?" He inquired after a while, "Why work so diligently to find such an object if you are so against using magic and other people who use it?" his question was full of curiousty, not malice and he still kept his polite distance.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Resources & Directories
Static II
Static
Scrolling
CONTENT FOR TAB 2 HERE
Toggle
CFS design by brax